Restaurants and Cafes are a franchise that both use the food room. These can be a source of money, as well as a way to satisfy passenger's food needs. The player must research them via the R & D panel (Franchise Cafes then Quality Restaurants) before being able to place the room and add the proper objects.
Restaurants/Cafes are created in food rooms. Rooms should be generally located in both secure and insecure zones (before and after security clearance) and international zones. Special care should be taken to allow easy access to the franchised cafes/restaurants by franchise staff to avoid periods of closure (indicated by said restaurant/cafe being darkened).
To enable franchised Restaurants/Cafes, the Franchise Cafes (and then Quality Restaurants, if you want restaurants) R & D must be completed through the R & D panel.
To build a Cafe or Restaurants, complete the following in the correct order.
- Mark a room and/or area as a food room.
- View the available cafe contracts and their stipulations.
- After deciding which contract you wish to sign, do not sign it but instead build a cafe/restaurant that either meets or exceeds the stipulations of said contract. Stipulations include room area/sizing, amount of fridges, and cashier counters and more.
- Sign a contract through the room object panel.
Note: Contracts will not be offered to your airport or be limited in number if your airport does not have adequate reputation.
Operations and Staff
Staff belonging to the franchised Cafes (and restaurants) will arrive as per the agreed cafe/restaurants contract, to operate Point of Sale (PoS) terminals at cashier counters. They do not take breaks but when finishing their shifts they exit the airport as new franchise staff enter the airport to take their place. Travel time from the airport's entrance to the franchised cafe/restaurants may allow for periods of closure (indicated by said cafe/restaurant being darkened) which is why it is imperative to ensure that cafes/restaurants are easily accessible by franchise staff to quickly resume business during a change of shift.
Profits are made by the airport when the tenant:
- Pays their agreed rent as per the signed cafe/restaurant contract (determined per unit of space per hour, as included in the signed cafe/restaurant contract. As a result, larger cafe/restaurant will generate more revenue.
- Pays their agreed commission per sale as stipulated in the signed cafe/restaurant contract;
- Pays their agreed bonus if their stipulated sales target is met or exceeded.
Penalties can be incurred by the airport when the tenant:
- Does not meet or exceed their stipulated sales target.
The above means that special care and stratagem should be used in order to maximize the sales of each cafe/restaurant to insure the meeting or exceeding of it's stipulated sales goal as per the signed cafe/restaurant contract.
Note: Cafe/Restaurant facilities make passengers happier and as a result of that, they spend more money (happy passengers are more likely to spend money) while passengers who wish to eat but are not offered the opportunity to do so's overall satisfaction will become lower of that if adequate food facilities were provided.